Pages

10/12/2012

Kitchen Wall Inspiration

Those past days have been beyond busy. We had our current landlord over to check out the apartment to see whether or not they want to renovate it. Well, turns out they do. We expected that but thought that we could get out early because of this, that they could just renovate it during our last two months or so. Yeah, that's not working. We get one month off but that's it.

And as if that wasn't enough, because they renovate it all, we have to get everything out. Every wallpaper, every styrofoam ceiling cover and every flooring. Well, not every flooring, luckily we left the old PVC in kitchen, hallway and bedroom. But we have to get the wooden floor out of our living room and the new PVC we put into our bathroom has to go as well.

Yep... that's going to be a lot of work. I don't even want to think about it right now. We're starting this weekend so we don't have to do it all in the last minute. The Doctor is starting with the basement room that belongs to our apartment, we pretty much have to put it all in the trash because we don't have room for it. I'm guessing that's going to take more than a weekend. Not only because there's so much stuff in there, but because it's going to be a walk down memory lane with all these boxes he hasn't looked at in years.

In the meantime, I'm continuing on my upcycled shelf, I'm hoping to finish it later today or tomorrow morning. Most likely tomorrow morning. When I'm done with that, I'm starting with the kitchen, our biggest problem because it's full of the things that the tenant before us left here. The Doctor knew her rather well, it was an old lady and his mother cared for her until she died. She gave him the apartment and everything inside it.

But now, what I actually wanted to talk about!

Once we've got rid of all the things in the kitchen, we're hoping to actually buy a new, smaller one, because the kitchen space in the new apartment is rather tiny. In case you haven't seen the post with the apartment pictures, here is one of our kitchen.

Yes, that's all. We have room for everything, even our dishwasher, but there's nothing more. The kitchen furniture goes on the left wall and the one in the front, we're not putting any furniture on the right side because then we'd hardly have room to walk through it. Instead - I can use it for decoration!

With the red tiles and the white walls (and, of course, the wooden ceiling), the whole apartment has a rather rustic look. I'm going to embrace that style and use it for the decoration. The first piece I'm using here is my favourite flea market find that I bought last week - the fat man drinking wine. After all, the kitchen is a place to eat and make delicious food and maybe have a glass of wine, so that's just perfect.


His smile makes me so happy! I rummaged through our kitchen to see if the lady left us something else that I could use and I found it hanging right on our wall! I never paid much attention to it because there just isn't any decoration here usually and I've made my peace with that. I've seen those things, of course, but I never realized they were there!

An old cheese grater is the second piece that will go on our new wall. It's super simple, doesn't take up much space and looks nice, too. It's not art, but I'm confident that it will look great once it's on the wall with the paintings and everything else.


This one is number three. A really, really old thermometer that hung on our wall. The black parts aren't dirty, that's just the colouring of the leather casing. It even shows me whether it's going to be "rainy, uncomfy or pretty", I just have to take it with me and put it up for everyone to see.

That one is just an example - a tin plate. I'm not sure whether they're popular anywhere but in Germany, but my grandma has tons of them. We found two in this apartment as well, but they're not that pretty so I'm hoping that grandma will give me one of hers. I know that she has lots of them that are in the cabinet because she doesn't have room on her walls anymore. And yes, that's how many she's got.


Those are tin spoons. My grandma has many, many of those as well. Those two aren't particularly pretty because of the weird roof thingy, but I want one or two on my wall as well. I bet it could look great after working on the wood for a bit.

I found this one right here on Pinterest and knew I had to do it right away. My grandma's and my mother are great cooks, they really are, and they've taught me a lot about it, so that's going to be my way to honour them - ask them for handwritten recipes, frame them and hang them on my kitchen wall.

There's another flea market here on sunday, I'm hoping to find more art that fits on this wall together with the other pieces. I can't wait to decorate this, it's going to be one of my favourites in the new apartment, most definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment